Our students participate in several sports and other physical activities including netball, floorball, flippaball, miniball, touch rugby, soccer, inter-school sports challenges, and so on. We also run annual athletics, cross country, and swimming days.
Classes take part in daily physical activities. We encourage our students to participate in physical education and sports activities to the best of their ability. The school pool is used during summer terms for swimming lessons for the junior and middle school.
Organised Weekly School Team Sports
Kilbirnie School offers the following organised weekly school team sports. Some also require a weekly practice session:
Terms 1 and 4
- Floorball: Years 1 – 6 played on Tuesdays at the ASB Centre. Floorball is a type of floor hockey, an indoor team sport developed in the 1970s in Sweden. It is played with sticks and a plastic ball. You can find out more at www.wellingtonfloorball.org.nz/. The draw is available here.
- Netball: Years 1-4 played on Saturdays at Evans Bay Intermediate School. A modified game ANZ FutureFerns is played and the session incorporates skills development as well as a short game. No practices are required. The competition is managed by Motu Kairangi Netball and details of the programme are on their website www.mknetball.co.nz
- Touch Rugby: Years 3-6 played on Wednesdays at Wakefield Park in Island Bay.
- Flippaball: Years 4 – 6 played on Fridays at the Kilbirnie Aquatic Centre. Flippaball is a modified version of Waterpolo. It involves throwing and catching a ball, as well as swimming to score goals. Players do not need to be strong swimmers but do need to be confident in the 2-metre pool.
Terms 2 and 3
- Miniball: Years 3 – 6 played at the ASB Centre (Years 3 and 4 on Wednesday, Years 5 and 6 on Monday). Miniball is extremely popular at Kilbirnie School. It is a modified version of basketball, with rules adapted for kids. It teaches the basketball skills of dribbling, passing, and shooting. The goals are shorter and there are 12-minute halves. Wellington Basketball has further details of the game format. Draws/results are also available - scroll down to the relevant day/year group
Netball: Years 5 – 6 boys and girls. It is played at EBIS on Saturdays. Year 5 play with a shorter goal and smaller ball and play according to Future Ferns rules, including rotation of players through positions, which encourage participation. The competition is managed by Motu Kairangi Netball and the draws and results are on their website www.mknetball.co.nz.
Eastern Zone Sports
Kilbirnie School is represented in Eastern Zone sport tournaments Years 4 – 6. The following events will be held in different terms throughout the year.
- Cross Country: A whole school event will be run from which students in Year 4 – 6 are competing for a place in the team.
- Swimming: Our Senior School Swim Festival happens before the Eastern Zone competition in order to select a team to compete.
- Athletics: A whole school event will take place at Newtown Park. Years 4 – 6 compete in high jump, long jump, sprints, vortex, and quoits. A team is selected to compete at the Eastern Zone Competition.